Did you know that grilling bivalves is one of the easiest things to cook? Not to mention one of the most insanely delicious.
Here’s a recipe that is so easy it can’t really even be called a recipe:
- Put about a pound of cleaned clams/mussels/oysters/cockles in a clean pie plate
- Toss in whatever flavors you like with your clams/mussels/oysters/cockles. In the picture above, I used a pound of Manila clams with 1/2 a lemon, a heaping handful of scallion greens, and about 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Chuck the pie plate on the hot side of your grill, cover, and let the bivalves do their thing for about 6-8 minutes, then take a peek under the lid. If the bivalves are open, carefully remove the pie plate from the grill and enjoy. If they’re not all open, pop the lid back on for a couple more minutes.
Other flavor combos to try:
- coconut milk/cream, lemongrass, ginger, sliced chiles
- minced garlic, Old Bay, butter
- white wine, scallions, butter
- ghee, paprika, curry powder
- hefeweizen, butter, chopped bacon, finish with cream
What’s your favorite recipe for clams, oysters or mussels?